Scared of endoscopy, What are the chances that I have some kind of cancer?

Patient : About 7 months ago I suffered a period of two to three weeks of some heartburn, some acid reflex, and increased gas with some pain in the chest area. The symptoms disappeared for a month, then came back for once or twice in the last 5 months. I checked with a doctor who ordered a barium test and an ultrasound test for the abdomenal area. The ultrasound showed a fatty liver and the barium test showed a delay of passage to the duodenum. My blood tests also showed elevated liver enzymes, elevated sugar levels (pre-diabetes) range, and high cholesterol levels in the range of 260. I just visted a different doctor and he wants me to do an endoscopy, which I am afraid that it might show some form of cancer. I am very affraid of the prospects although I have no physical signs of any problems. What are the chances that I have some kind of cancer
Doctor :   I do understand your concern. What your doctor is trying to identify by doing and endoscopy is do determine the damage t o the lower end of the esophagus by the reflux. There is sometimes a change in the characteristics of the normal cells in the oesophagus wherein the normal squamous cells are replaced by columnar cells. Though there is a risk of developing cancer of the esophagus due to this change, with adequate treatment a reversal is possible. I hope the information helps, take care.