Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Scared of getting pregnant

Scared of getting pregnant

Patient: Hi. I just had sex with my boyfriend for the first time and he pulled out before ejaculating and we did it again using a condom. My period came on the 1st and today there was still fairly some. I am really concerned about getting pregnant.

Symptoms: No symptoms

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,If you have had you menses on 1st march, then as on 8th march, you would still be in y our safe period when there would have been no ovulation yet. Also, you had protected sex and hence chances of pregnancy are minimal. There is no real need to be worried and you should be pregnancy safe. The spotting you may have experienced could possibly due to first-time sex induced local vaginal abrasions which is common during the first-time sex when the hymen rupture may occur as well. In any case if you happen to miss your periods then you may perform a urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy after 7 days post missed periods or you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, 7 days post intercourse now to check for raised hCG levels which should indicate pregnancy or vice versa in a negative result. This would help allay your anxiety sooner.I hope I have answered your queryRegards