Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sciatica Treatment Options for Back Pain

Sciatica Treatment Options for Back Pain

Patient: I have been have pain from my butt down the back of my leg and it seems to be my sciatica nerve – what can I do to relieve the pain – it comes and goes. any type of exercise I can do ? Thank you for your time. Cheryl

Doctor: There are many causes of sciatic nerve inflammation: blunt injury, compression by the surrounding muscles, intervertebra l disk degeneration or lumbar disk disease, all of them can produce pain along the sciatic nerve.The conventional treatment for Sciatica is aimed to relieve the pain and besides the use of anti-inflammatory drugs (as Ibuprofen) and vitamin B complex, a physical therapy program can benefit the patient, with stretching of the hip muscles and local heat or ultrasound application. It is very important also avoid activities that place stress on the lumbar spine. Sometimes the pain and discomfort can persist for several weeks before to improve.The local corticosteroid injection may be considered for patients who show limited response to oral medication and physical therapy.