Scoliosis and Bracing in an 11 years old boy

Patient

Q: AT WHAT DEGREE DO YOU BEGIN BRACING AN 11 YEAR OLD WITH SCOLIOSIS. apex at the thoracolumbar junction measuring 25 degrees convex left with a small compensatory curve 2MM LEG DISCREPANCY

Doctor

A:   Several studies on adolescent idiopathic scoliosis treated with the Milwaukee brace reported that this orthosis was effective in preventing significant curve progression in patients with 20-39 curves. Some authors recommend that adolescents with a curve of 25 and a Risser sign of 0 be braced immediately and not wait for evidence of curve progression. Other authors have shown that an average curve correction of 20% in the brace (Milwaukee brace) is associated with bracing success. But there is no a general consensus regarding strict guidelines on scoliosis and bracing treatment, so every case has to be considered in particular.