Scoliosis and Harrington Rods

Patient

Q: I had back surgery about 20 yrs ago when they put in harrington rods at the t-12 level. because of this i have had continous back problems. i was told because of the rods they put strain on the rest of my lower back causing these problems, is this true???

Doctor

A:   Harrington Rods are normally used in the treatment of scoliosis. Your continuous back problems are likely a result of the scoliosis rather the rods themselves. It is possible that in correcting your scoliosis, a strain was placed on some of the muscles of your lower back though I think this is unlikely to be the case. You should have yourself examined by a spine surgeon to better determine the cause of your lower back symptoms.