Scoliosis Overview: diagnosis, treatment and follow up

Patient

Q: Do you think it would be considered some type of medical malpractice if a patient were to find out they have scoliosis and told that it wouldve taken years for their spine to be where it is now at that stage, but that is the first time the patient is hearing about it, even after going to hospitals plenty of times and having xrays done and never being told about it? Do you think that is in anyway medical malpractice on the other hospitals parts?

Doctor

A:    Scoliosis is the lateral deviation of the spine, if you already have completed the bone growth, the risk of progression of the deviation (scoliosis) is low. The development of the deformity takes years and usually is diagnosed by a pediatrician or an orthopedic surgeon with special imaging studies. Anyways, I strongly recommend you practicing some sport as swimming that may strengthening the muscles of your spine, regular work out in the gym with stretching exercises and to strengthen abs too, keep your weight under control and keep regular appointments, every six months with an orthopedic surgeon to monitor possible progression of the curve.