Scolliosis with a rapid progression within 3 months

Q: My 11 year old daughter was seen by an orthopedist to follow up on a 4 degree spinal curve 3 months ago. Shortly after that, she had back and hip pain and began walking differently. She saw the orthopedist again last night and her curve is now at 20 degrees. She has had a 16 degree change in 3 months. He has recommended a brace be worn 23 hours a day. My question is, is that typical for it to change degrees that quickly? Does that type of curve progression indicate anything else? I am just a bit alarmed at the rate of progression.

A:   Yes, it is possible the rapid progression of a Scoliosis curve in certain kids, and it should be carefully monitored and treated with the corresponding orthotics or brace to avoid further progression and complications. It is not likely that the curve progresses anymore when the growth process has ended. But in the meantime it has to be closely watched.