Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Scratchy Throat After Oral Sex

Scratchy Throat After Oral Sex

Patient: Sorry this may be a little personal. My husband and I have been married for almost two years. We have a very healthy sex life; however, every time I perform oral sex on him, I end up with a itchy and scratchy throat after he’s ejaculated. I tried doing some research. He doesn’t have an STD and I’m not sure if its an allergy. When he ejaculates inside me, I’m normally fine. I’m just curious on what causes that. Thanks!

Symptoms: Itchy, scratchy throat.

Doctor: Allergy to one or more ingdredients of semen has been reported in the medical literatures and may cause infertility in s ome. Some proteins in human semen may evoke allergic response in their partners. Iritation in the throat on exposure to seminal fluid is unlikely in a person tolerant to vaginal ejaculation. Please consult physician and an allergist for evaluation. Make sure you do not have a throat infection.