Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Scuba diving after four weeks of Achilles tendon injury

Scuba diving after four weeks of Achilles tendon injury

Patient: Hello, I have soft tissue damage around my achilles tendon from an accident that occurred three and a half weeks ago. I had planned to go scuba diving next week but am unsure if it would aggravate the injury. I am wearing a support still and taking anti-inflammatory tabs but am able to walk without any pain. There is only some discomfort when I land awkwardly on the foot. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks, Emer

Doctor: If you have no pain, if there is no tissue exposure and is almost 4 weeks since the injury, you may try scuba diving be ecause in this kind of activity is not likely that you are going to be straining your Achilles, anyway you should ask your doctor for clearance before to perform this  activity.