Searing muscular pain in sides and back?

Q: For the past few months now, on and off, I've been experiencing brief periods of near-excruciating pain originating from my sides and lower back.

It happens unexpectedly, usually during the evening or early morning, and it feels like the muscles under the skin on my sides and lower back (sometimes upper back) have been stretched or worn. It's akin to a searing sensation and the only way, originally, to get rid of it was to sit down or get on my hands and knees and have my mother rub roughly at the pained areas until the feeling (usually) moved to my stomach and then disbursed roughly three to five minutes later.

It disappeared for about a month and a half but reappeared yesterday and this morning and now - as I write this. Rubbing no longer seems to help and both spells have lasted over two hours, and counting - though they're not as painful as the original, shorter spanning ones.

The doctor I visited didn't know what it was at first, then came to the conclusion that it was intestinal retraction; or something of the sort. He gave me pills but they don't work.

Either way, I believe it is a form of serious indigestion but would like to have a second opinion?
Do I need to go to the emergency room...?