Seeking over-the-counter med. for 10 month old

Q: Hi, my grand daughter is 10 months old and has stuffy nose, and mucus in eyes. She went to emergency last night and was given Tylenol for fever, but no other medicine. I have her tonight and want to give her over-the-counter medicine. Which do you recommend

Symptoms:  Stuffy nose, mucus in eyes, runny eyes & nose, and fever

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question,

OTC cough and cold medicines aren't effective in children younger than 6 and can sometimes have dangerous side effects. You may want to ask your child's Doctor what he suggests. Keep in mind that cough and cold medications won't shorten the course of your child's cold or prevent further complications such as ear infections or sinus infections. If your baby is feverish, ask your Doctor about giving her infant acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Adding a few drops of menthol or eucalyptus to a vaporizer or bath may help your baby feel less congested. If the problem continues, then seek medical care. I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.