Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Self Diagnosing a Mini Stroke

Self Diagnosing a Mini Stroke

Patient: If I believe I have had a T.I.A. (mini stroke) after doing my own research, what should I do until I get into the doctor? I had went to the ER when these problems started and had blood work and a CT done. All were normal. Should I start taking aspirin?

Doctor: A T.I.A. is an abbreviation for transient ischemic attack or as you pointed out, a mini stroke.The significance of a T .I.A. is that it indicates you have vascular disease and puts you at risk for further vascular events.  Patients with a history of hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, hypercoaguability and cancer are at increased risk of a T.I.A. It is not uncommon to experience a T.I.A. as one of the first symptoms of the previously mentioned diseases.You do not mention the symptoms you experienced so I am not able to provide you an opinion but I can say that it is never a good idea to self diagnose or self manage new symtoms.  Please see your doctor immediately.