Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Semen Test Report and factors influencing results

Semen Test Report and factors influencing results

Patient: Hello Doc, I did semen test last day and my report come as abnormal, there was no sperm count shown in report or no any other details. Actually, we were not aware that we do not have to do any sexual activity atleast for 2-5 days before the semen report. We did intercourse very last night before I went for test and ejaculated lot of sperm. I went for test within 12 hours of our intercourse. Can this be reason that my reports came as abnormal, with no sperm count? Do I go for another semen test? Please reply, we both are very much depressed… Ram

Doctor: Prior to a semen analysis it is advised that one has to abstain from any kind of sexual intercourse as well as mastubati on for atleast 24-48 hours. This could be the reason for deranged results.However even typically if you do have a abnormal result this is checked once more through samples taken at intervals of 2-3 weeks. You should repeat the test once more. All the best.