Semen test results

Q: I did a semen test and the result is as follows:
motility is 55 %
sluggish 35 %
non motile 10 %
Color: opalescent
Are these rates normal

Symptoms:  in confident

A:   A semen analysis measures the amount and quality of semen a man produces. Results of a semen analysis usually from lab to lab and are best interpreted with respect to the normal values of the respective lab. As per the World Health Organisation criteria (2010) for interpreting semen analysis reports, the normal values are as follows:
Semen Parameters Normal Values
Semen volume 1.5 – 5 ml per ejaculation
Liquefaction time 20–30 minutes after collection
Semen pH: 7.2–8.0
Sperm shape (morphology): More than 4% of the sperm have normal shape.
Sperm count: 15 million spermatozoa per milliliter or more
40 million spermatozoa per ejaculate or more
Sperm vitality (living sperms): More than 60% of the spermatozoa should be living
Sperm movement (motility) More than 32% of the sperm show normal forward movement after 1 hour.
White blood cells < 1,00,000 white blood cells
As per these reference values, sluggishly motile sperms of 55% are abnormal and suggestive of asthenospermia. There are many causes for the same, which may be classified as testicular, pre-testicular, post-testicular or idiopathic causes.
Some of the causes of such as a hydrocele, varicocele, or vas deferens obstruction may respond to operative corrections. In many idiopathic causes of the condition the sperm count may increase after treatment with Clomiphene, carnitine, anti-oxidants, HMG, Tamoxifen etc. A consultation with an andrologist or a reproductive endocrinologist should help you understand the cause of the same better. You may also wish to detect the treatment alternatives that you can choose from inorder to complete your family. Hope you find this information useful in completing your family soon.