Sensation of food "getting stuck " in the Esophagus- Blockage?

Q: About five days ago, I noticed that when I swallowed food, I would have the sensation that it was getting stuck about halfway down. It isn't enough to keep me from eating. There is no pain associated with it and I have no other symptoms. The symptoms are slightly worse now and it is even noticeable when I drink liquids. I became a vegetarian about five years ago because of a year long battle with acid reflux. Since becoming a vegetarian, I have not had a single episode of acid reflux or heartburn. I am 6" 2" and I weigh 165lbs. I exercise regulary and am not taking any medications. I take a couple of Advil liquigels maybe two or three times a year if I get a headache. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks p.s. Although I have never been overweight, before I had a problem with acid reflux, I over-ate regularly.

A:   The symptoms you mention may be signs of different Esophageal conditions. At present it is not possible to make an accurate and correct diagnosis without further physical examination and tests , however some of the causes that could lead to similar symptoms include
Esophageal stricture ( narrowing of the esophagus)
Esophageal / Lower esophageal Cancer
Achalasia ( Esophageal muscular condition)
Esophageal spasm
Your symptoms are certainly concerning as they began with solids and have progressed to even on drinking liquids. You will need a Barium Swallow Xray ( Xray taken after you swallow some radioative substance inorder to dinf where the blockage is)  followed by a possible Endoscopy to see exactly what is obstructing you esophagus. Your prior history of acid reflux also serves as a risk factor for these symptoms.
I would advice you to arrange an appointment with you physician for a further indepth analysis of the problem.