Sense of something stuck in throat

Patient

Q: Hello. A few days ago, I performed brief oral sex to my boyfriend for the first time and since later that day I feel as if there's something stuck in my throat (phlegm?) and I have to keep clearing it all the time. I'm worried I've caught an infection from him. Please let me know what you think this is. Thank you.

Symptoms:  Throat, phlegm
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is possible to catch infections eith oral sex, but, in general, the chances are probably lower than with penetrative sex. The risks also depend on whether you are the partner performing oral sex or the partner who is having it done to them. The most common STD transmitted via oral sex is herpes. There are two main types of herpes simplex virus (HSV): HSV type 1, which usually causes cold sores around the mouth. Besides, oral sex can lead to mouth or throat cancer, but the risk is tiny.The reason is that the genital area can be infected with type 16 human papillomavirus (HPV). This type of papillomavirus can cause mouth and throat cancers! HIV can pose a small risk for both the active (person giving the oral stimulation) and receptive (person receiving oral stimulation) partner! Apart from these possibilities, a simple sore throat may also cause similar discomfort! Please see a doctor!

Hope this helps.