Septate Hymen Surgery

Patient

Q: Hello I'm 17 and I was wondering about the surgery for a Septate hymen. I have been sexual active for about two years now and I never knew what was wrong with me? Sex is always uncomfortable and I find it hard using tampons. I was looking into the removal surgery and I have some questions. How long does it take for the surgery and recovery. I am terrified of needles and stitches and I was wondering what type of anesthetic was used. I also wanted to know more about the procedure itself. And if you have to go back to have the stitches removed? Thanks for your help

Doctor

A:   The procedure involves removal of the hymen and the septum which obstructs menstrual flow and makes sexual intercouse uncomfortable. It is done under general anesthesia so you will not aware of what is happening and you will not feel pain. The stitches that will be used are absorbable and will not require removal. Recovery time varies from abput 3-6 weeks. This does not mean you will not be able to go about your daily activites durin this time period but simply means refraining from sexual activity.