September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Serious Knee damage and pain

Serious Knee damage and pain

Patient: I was working out on Monday doing squats for 3 hours a day non stop. Each day my knees kept on gettingworse and worse. When I walk I hear a popping or crunching sound. Both of my knees are swollen and lumpy. I have muscle spasms and I cant keep my balance. I think I did a serious damage to my knee and it is very painful to walk and sit down. When I lay down my knee has a tingling sensation. I went to the doctors today and the only people that were there were the nurses. The nurse walked in and checked my knee and told me to stand up. I have had flat feet for a while and she said the problem was because of my flat feet causing my knees to hurt. Ive had flat feet all my life and it has never caused me this much pain. She told me it would go away in a couple of days. And she didn’t even check to see how I walk. My pain is so bad that I am in tears and I am emotional because of all the pain. And she just told me to take advil and to put ice on it. Before I went to the doctor I already took advil and put ice on it and it didn’t help at all. I think she made a mistake and I thought that she would make me get an MRI or an X ray. I did my research and I think I might of torn my left and right Miniscus or my ligament or my ACL. All of the symptoms that I read about I have. Do you think this is serious and is it possible for the nurse to have made a mistake?

Symptoms: Tingling sensation below my knees, Popping/ crunching/ cracking sound when walking or sitting down, a swollen lump on both knees, muscle spasms, cant keep my balance, causing emotional stress, major pain when walking and sitting down, my knees feel locked when standing, limping every time I walk.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You seem to be suffering from Knee ligament injury or Acute Musc ular Pain.I would advise you to get following investigations done:1. X-ray Knee2. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.3. ESR, CRPI would advise following for knee pain:1. To do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises.2. To do hot fomentation of the knee3. Apply diclofenac ointment locally4. To take Pain killers like Diclofenac only if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for their use.5. Don’t climb stairs, avoid bucket holding.6. Don’t sit in the squatting positionShare my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy