Seventeen month old baby ate Gel from Nappy.

Patient

Q: Is the gel inside a nappy toxic? I caught my 17 month old playing with the gel and im not sure if he ate any. He seems fine, but im worried. The gel was wet as he was due to be changed.

Doctor

A:   The gel inside the nappy is made of polyacrylic acid which can absorb and retain large amounts of water. Products containing polyacrylic acid can cause mild irritation to the eyes or skin if exposure occurs.
If you child has come into contact with the gel, wash the exposed areas with water. Observe for nausea, vomiting and skin irritation and consult your pediatrician if any of these symptoms are present.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi, I started on birth control about two weeks ago. I noticed a pink streak in my 3 month olds diaper today and dried...

Q: Hello. I am a 19 year old female experiencing strange bouts of diarrhea accompanied by dizziness. This has happened a...

Q: Hello, Ive a 6 months old baby that star weaning a few weeks ago,but since a couple weeks ago her stools become real...

Q: My 10 month old baby girl has a Red shiny line from her vagina to her anus, it has been like this for a long time a...

Q: HELLO,I've A 5 MONTHS OLD BABY,YESTERDAY SHE VOMITED 3 TIMES IN THE MORNING,AND ALSO HER POO WAS GREEN REALLY SMELLY...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews