Seventeen month old baby ate Gel from Nappy.

Patient: Is the gel inside a nappy toxic? I caught my 17 month old playing with the gel and im not sure if he ate any. He seems fine, but im worried. The gel was wet as he was due to be changed.

Doctor: The gel inside the nappy is made of polyacrylic acid which can absorb and retain large amounts of water. Products contai ning polyacrylic acid can cause mild irritation to the eyes or skin if exposure occurs.If you child has come into contact with the gel, wash the exposed areas with water. Observe for nausea, vomiting and skin irritation and consult your pediatrician if any of these symptoms are present.


Advertisement