SeventyTwo yr old Male with Purplish Swollen Feet and Ankles

Patient : My Father is 72. He has had extremely swollen feet and ankles for the past 2 weeks. They are also a very dark reddish purple. The pictures attached did not pick up the darkness of the discoloration. I would say it looks like a red plum color. He has High BloodPressure and Depression - taking Rx for both. He was just diag. with Osteoporsis and Arthuritis of the back. He was given Fosomax 70MG and otc Calcium and Vitamin D. He says it hurts to walk on his feet. and he has been in a terrible mood. He does not have Diabetes or a family history of Diabetes. His Mother did have both legs amputated due to poor circulation. Do I need to take him to the emergency room?