Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Severe alcohol reaction

Severe alcohol reaction

Patient: Hello,I have been researching alcohol allergies, but I don’t seem to find descriptions that fit me. I have never been able to drink. In my 20s I could have a small glass with food and be ok, but now at 37 I have severe and instant reactions. Tonight for example my mother ordered a drink and raved about it, so I took a tiny sip. I instantly feel poisonous feeling vapors rise up through my sinuses, burning down my esophogus, not really painful, but a weird sensation shooting out my arms through my finger tips. I felt sort of dizzy, maybe a little bit drunk for about 10 minutes. Now an hour later I feel like I have a hangover. The alcohol barely has time to hit my stomach. How can this be happening? What is it?

 

 

Symptoms: See above

 

 

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You might be intolerant to alcohol particularly beer. However, I would also advise you to get a test done for Celiac disease as many a times, people with wheat allergy also manifest allergy with beer as it is made of wheat.Celiac disease is Gluten hypersensitivity.Get Anti TTG Antibody test done.In fact, I would advise you to stay away from alcohol otherwise also.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.

 


Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment