Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Severe alcohol reaction

Severe alcohol reaction

Patient: Hello,I have been researching alcohol allergies, but I don’t seem to find descriptions that fit me. I have never been able to drink. In my 20s I could have a small glass with food and be ok, but now at 37 I have severe and instant reactions. Tonight for example my mother ordered a drink and raved about it, so I took a tiny sip. I instantly feel poisonous feeling vapors rise up through my sinuses, burning down my esophogus, not really painful, but a weird sensation shooting out my arms through my finger tips. I felt sort of dizzy, maybe a little bit drunk for about 10 minutes. Now an hour later I feel like I have a hangover. The alcohol barely has time to hit my stomach. How can this be happening? What is it?

Symptoms: See above

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You might be intolerant to alcohol particularly beer. However, I would also advise you to get a test done for Celiac disease as many a times, people with wheat allergy also manifest allergy with beer as it is made of wheat.Celiac disease is Gluten hypersensitivity.Get Anti TTG Antibody test done.In fact, I would advise you to stay away from alcohol otherwise also.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.