Severe ankle instability

Q: I am 31 years old, two years ago I severely injured my right ankle. I had a syndemosis repair with a tightrope in September 2013 and a syndesmosis repair using two screws in October 2014. I had the hardware removed last month. I am still having constant pain in the ankle and when I walk I feel like my foot is sliding in the joint. I am very active: swimming, hiking, cycling, and horseback riding. Due to my ankle I have only been able to swim since the injury. Is there any procedure that can get me back to my previous activity level? What is the next step?

Symptoms:  Pain, feeling of instability, movement in the ankle