Severe back pain appearing two weeks after being diagnosed with the flu and strep throat.

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and did a round of antibiotics (amoxil 875) for 10 days. While on the amoxil, my entire house was diagnosed with strep, so I just stayed on the amoxil. Then, 2 weeks later, I was feeling severely ill so I went to the doctor again and tested positive for flu strain B. I have done no heavy lifting, no exercise, haven't even left the home in weeks as I've been so sick and recovering from the flu. I have drank plenty of fluids.

About 5 days ago I noticed a pain in my upper back that was right on my vertebrae that felt like a bruised bone. That pain was very sensitive to touch. The next day the pain had gotten worse and started spreading to my neck, shoulders, and middle back. I now have pain all over my back and it's difficult to get comfortable at night. I also have a stiff neck and shoulders. Could there be some infection that could have caused this?

I've been taking naproxen 500 mg twice daily for the past 5 days and it's not helped. I've also been taking advil twice daily and even tried adding tylenol to the mix. Last night I noticed a headache when I would lay in certain positions.

Doctor