Severe back pain making me dizzy and black out

Patient

Q: Hello. I hurt my back in 2009 causing me to have 2 bulging disc's and they were both herniated. They have given me some problems over the years. Well yesterday I was holding my grand daughter who is a year old. I dropped something on the floor bent to the left with her to pick it up and felt a sharp pain go down my low back to my left leg. The pain is sharp and throbbing, also sever to the point it feels like pins and needles. I also have spasms that take my breathe away. I have done ice and heat since this has happened. This morning got up went to make a cup of coffee pain was so bad I became dizzy and went to the floor because the room went black.

Symptoms:  Pain, stabbing, trobbing, travels down my left leg and it takes my breathe away. Hurts to walk, sit, stand, move in general.
Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to be suffering from Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression that is L5-S1 Radiculopathy.
I would advise you to get following:
1. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels
2. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.
For pain I advise following:
1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine
2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.
4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.
5. SSRI like Duloxetine helps in long term.
But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness, tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.