Severe breathing difficulty, possibly associated with asthma or smoking

Patient: For the past two weeks I have been experiencing the following symptoms: Shortness of breath Wheezing Cough w. mucous, esp. at night (usually thin, thick at worst times) Sore, solid lungs (it feels like I’m breathing in a mixture of pepper in cement) I have a history of asthma (I have gone through two 65-dose inhalers in eight days), I have been a smoker for eight years, and I am a carpenter. Can you help me figure out what is causing these symptoms? Thank you

Doctor: You may be having an exacerbated asthma attack and it would be helpful to see your GP or visit an emergency in the hospi tal for an early control your of your condition. You should remember that if you require more than your usual or more than the maximum amount of any asthma medication in a 24-hour period, it could be an early sign of a serious asthma attack. You may require a reevaluation of your asthma symptoms and the treatment regimen, giving special consideration to the possible need for anti-inflammatory treatment, eg, corticosteroids. Triggers that may be responsible for your episode include smoke (if you still continue to smoke) or dust inhaled during your work. You should use a mask while working to avoid inhalation of the dust particles and quit smoking to avoid future attacks of asthma.You may be having an exacerbated asthma attack and it would be helpful to see your GP or visit an emergency in the hospital for an early control your of your condition. You should remember that if you require more than your usual or more than the maximum amount of any asthma medication in a 24-hour period, it could be an early sign of a serious asthma attack. You may require a reevaluation of your asthma symptoms and the treatment regimen, giving special consideration to the possible need for anti-inflammatory treatment, eg, corticosteroids. Triggers that may be responsible for your episode include smoke (if you still continue to smoke) or dust inhaled during your work. You should use a mask while working to avoid inhalation of the dust particles and quit smoking to avoid future attacks of asthma.