Severe cough Post-marathon

Q: Hello, yesterday I ran a marathon with some cold symptoms. (Sneezing, mild cough, runny nose). However, it's been over 24 hours since the race ended, and I can't stop coughing. Do you think I exacerbated the cold, or is there risk for another respiratory illness due to low immune system from running the marathon? Thanks!

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible the intense aerobic activity of your marathon may have caused dryness of your larynx and upper respiratory tract due to excessive breathing.This would account for the coughing you are experiencing. Should this cough not resolve in another 48 hours, which will be a total of three days that you have been experiencing this, we recommend that you have your doctor perform a thorough respiratory examination to determine if you are indeed suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection.

Thank you for consulting