Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Severe cough Post-marathon

Severe cough Post-marathon

Patient: Hello, yesterday I ran a marathon with some cold symptoms. (Sneezing, mild cough, runny nose). However, it’s been over 24 hours since the race ended, and I can’t stop coughing. Do you think I exacerbated the cold, or is there risk for another respiratory illness due to low immune system from running the marathon? Thanks!

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible the intense aerobic activity of your marathon may have caused dryness of you r larynx and upper respiratory tract due to excessive breathing.This would account for the coughing you are experiencing. Should this cough not resolve in another 48 hours, which will be a total of three days that you have been experiencing this, we recommend that you have your doctor perform a thorough respiratory examination to determine if you are indeed suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com