Severe hair loss Desperate and concerned!

Patient

Q: I have a deep concern that involves extreme and major hair loss. I've never had hair loss before up until now. I can't see my doctor for another month. I've tried the nurses hot line on the phone, but they can't give me any advice on my issue except to go see my doctor (which I can't!) I'm frustrated.

I'm 19 years old and have been having extreme hair loss for over a month now, to the point where handfuls of my hair get brushed, combed and even just fall out on it's own.

I am wondering if a possible reason it could be happening could perhaps be because in the second week of July, my family and I went to the beach and I came home with a third degree sunburn. Maybe my scalp was burned without my noticing, I didn't feel anything odd, but my hair loss began to happen at the beginning of August.

Some of the symptoms I've been experiencing along with the hair loss is minor itching on my scalp and once in a while I get this hot feeling there, too. My hair loss is most noticeable at the crown and hair line.

If you could possibly give me some sort of an explanation as to what's been happening, I would deeply appreciate it. I'm not asking for a complete diagnosis... But I have nowhere else to turn until my doctor appointment happens, which is in a month and they won't let me see the doctor before then! And I really don't want to wait that long, as my hair keeps seriously falling out greatly. Have any ideas as to what this is and what I could possibly do to help it stop?

Symptoms:  Minor balding on hair line and crown, itching on scalp, and minor burn feeling on scalp.
Doctor