Severe knee pain in an active teenager

Patient : So for almost a year i've had this knee is quite severe and the pain is almost unbearable. it is on my left knee and its a sharp shooting pain on both sides of the knee cap, i also have a numbness in my shin because of this. the pain shoots all the way up my leg and into my lower back, and it gets worse when i lay down flat on my back. i played softball for a couple of years but have been unable to for the past 2 years. the pain comes around when i walk too much, excersise, sleep, or just out of no where. i've worn a knee brace whenever the pain comes back around and take several pain killers but no matter what i do the pain is still there. it is hard for me to walk and sit down properly because of it. but i dont have it ALL the time, it comes and question is, what do i have? what can i do for the pain? and what should i do when the pain comes back? oh and p.s. i've seen an actual doctor for this, but it's become i need some help:) thank you
Doctor :   According to your age and description of the symptoms, most likely you may have a Patellofemoral Syndrome, which basical ly is an unbalanced muscle pull that produced excessive pressure or leverage forces on the knee joint surfaces. The difficulty in flexing/ extending the knee that you described is a common presentation of the Patellofemoral Syndrome, and this generates a change in the gait that might be affecting your lumbar spine. The suggested strategy should be: strengthening and stretching the main muscle of the thigh: quadriceps, to restore the muscle balance around the knee joint, for this is indicated physical therapy for 6 to 8 weeks, using ice packs at the end of the exercise routine to decrease pain and swelling. The use of soft knee braces helps to control patella position and restrict full knee flexion which is good to ease the pain. Also, and very important, you have to stretch the hamstring muscles and the activities or sports that require frequent squatting must be avoided until the pain is under control. If there is a limited response to the treatment and locking or instability of the affected knee is noticed, then an orthopedic surgeon evaluation must be considered.  

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon