Severe knee pain in athletes

Patient : Hi- I am 12. I have had knee pain for 2 years. It hurts when i do everything. Sometimes it is a sharp pain sometimes i cant even walk. I do gymnastics, basketball, dance, and cheer. I take advil and ice it and do physical therapy. What is wrong?
Doctor :   It seems to me that you are very athletic and your knees have been overused and abused. Advil and applying ice on the ar ea are common remedies. It would be best if you have your knee checked by a doctor to make sure there are no ligament injuries or meniscal tears. A simple physical exam by a doctor can tell a lot of things. You may also want to take it easy because what you are doing to your knees is unhealthy and may have serious, permanent consequences. If you will ignore this pain and continue doing what you are doing, you might regret it later. I do hope this helps and take care always.