September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Severe Knee Pain Please Help.

Severe Knee Pain Please Help.

Patient: Dear Doctor,2years back i had a trauma falling on my knees from stairs but now i have a feeling that it was due to that trauma that now after 2years i cant bend,stretch or sit on floor with my knees.The time i fell i landed on my knees and there was an immediate swelling,bruises and alot of pain for many many days until now with a little or more pain sometimes.My Vit.D level is also too low and i had taken steroid tablets for almost 10years for my nasal conditions.please help me.

Symptoms: Knee pain,cant bend or stretch and cant standup after sitting on the floor.

Doctor: Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. Yes there could be a possibility of Patella fracture if the impact was directly on the knee. Patella fracture when left un-diagnosed and untreated can cause restricted knee motion. therefore I recommend a visit to the Orthopedic and getting a knee xray done to rule out patella fracture or any other joint condition. There is also a possibility of loss of the synovial fluid causing restricted knee motion. Other causes could be Chondromalacia patella ( Knee cap cartilage damage). Treatment would be directed towards the diagnosis. Excess steroid use could lead to loss of the bone pass (osteoporosis) and may lead to bone pain. Your Physician would prescribe you Vit. D tablets after careful laboratory analysis.Hope this information was useful.