Severe lower back pain

Patient

Q: Severe lower back pain and getting hopeless that it will ever leave!

Symptoms:  Probably classed as chronic lower back pain as I have had it for 11 months. Get really bad pain shooting down both legs (at different times) all the way down to foot. Unusual dull achy feeling around knee when shooting pains are present. Pain is situated middle of the spine in the lower back region. Pain is severe and wakes me up at night. Previously prescribed co-codamol with no effect on pain. GP referred me to physiotherapy but it's getting worse not better. No blood tests or imaging done.
Doctor