Severe Lower back pain in a middle aged female

Patient: I fell down a flight of stairs a year ago and when I landed my lower body all compressed together. Xrays at the ER showed nothing wrong. It took me about a month to recover, now my lower left back feels like I did it yesterday. There are some mornings it is very hard to move. The only medications I take regularly are Metaforin, Altace, and Crestor. Do you think my problem is muscular, from the medications , or more serious?

Doctor: First of all, I strongly recommend that you go over and review the dosage and perform the muscle and hepatic function te sts to make sure that “Crestor” is not the one that is causing those “myalgias” (muscle pain). After  rule out this and  other potential causes of back pain  as inflammation/ compression of root nerves at the level of the spine, with a thoroughly evaluation by your PCP, we can think that maybe you are experiencing a Mechanical lower Back pain, which is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Here some useful measures: keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Do not wear high heels. Take anti inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) as needed.