Severe Night Sweats Since April 2014 and No Diagnosis.

Q: If someone tests positive for the CMV virus, does it mean that they will always test positive for CMV?

My brother tested positive for CMV last April and May, and then he tested negative for it in November. He is sweating profusely most nights and the doctors don't know why. He had a PETScan scan which showed three enlarged lymph nodes in his cervical area near the carotid sheath but the doctor said the nodes are too small to biopsy. A hematologist has been following him for a year, and she doesn't think it's lymphoma. His only symptom is night sweats. The doctors don't know why he's sweating.

Symptoms:  Severe night sweats

Thank you for your query at
There are lots of reasons for night sweats ranging from infections to malignancy. Your brother needs a detailed evaluation. He needs to get his CBC, Sputum AFB for culture, Chest X-Ray, Ultrasound whole abdomen/ CECT Abdomen, Thyroid profile, FBS/PPBS. These tests will give a better idea bout his diagnosis.
Three enlarged lymph nodes in the cervical area with night sweats could also be due to tuberculosis which has to be ruled out. In viral infections such as mononucleosis, the lymph nodes enlarge during the disease and persist for some time. So it is possible that, even though, the infection is gone, he is still recovering and the lymph nodes are enlarged due to reactive lymphadenitis.

Other diseases that can also present with night sweats are hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, severe gastro-esophageal reflux disease, fibromyalgia, e.t.c

Once the detailed evaluation is done, it will help in establishing the diagnosis.

So kindly talk to your physician and get it done.