Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Severe Nose Bleeds with Fainting

Severe Nose Bleeds with Fainting

Patient: Hi, My name is Dee, ever since I was little I’ve had horrible nose bleeds that would soak up bath towels. I almost always end up going to the hospital, but my parents seem to be able to stop them after a while. Recently I’ve been getting nose bleeds every morning. Yesterday morning while I was in the shower, I blew my nose and a gush of blood came out. So I pinched my nose (although that never seems to help) and tried to ignore it while I go through my daily routine. Suddenly I felt extremely lightheaded and I decided to go lay down. So I got out and stuck some toilet paper in my left nostril (it’s usually bleeding from the left side only). My room was right next door to the restroom, and as I was walking there I felt more dizzy with each step. Halfway to my bed, my legs started to wobble and my vision got blurry. I fell over with half of my body on the bed and passed out for what seemed like 5 minutes. When I gained consciousness I pulled my legs up and curled into a ball because I still felt dizzy. I remained dizzy the entire day. Should I be concerned about this and look more into it?

Doctor: Yes, you hsould be very concerned! You need to see a doctor IMMEDIATELY! I suspect that you have loss quite a sigmifican t amount of blood and now your blood count is low. This would explain your “dizziness’. Please do not delay any further in seeking medical attention!