Severe pain after strain back muscles

Q: I think I strained the muscles in my lower back last night. It hurts whenever I move and I can barely walk upright. I have lots of pain shooting up from my lower back. I'm trying to tak it easy, but I wondered if I should put cold or hot packs on my back? Any other healing advice or suggestions?

A:   Possibly you did an extreme movement that produced a muscle sprain in your back. A muscle strain is associated with the tearing or excessive stretching of the muscle and can be painful. All symptoms of muscle injury and muscle pain can range from mild to severe. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, rest, ice can help the affected muscle applied the first 36 hours and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Moist heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. It is very important that you allow time to heal and try to avoid activities that worsen the pain.