Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Severe pain during periods

Severe pain during periods

Patient: Hi doctor i have a womb problem and its been interrupting me for years now i feel like something is kicking my womb.and when im on my periods i am in serious pain.and i have a bad habit of eating refrigerator ice and ice cube and me and my partner are trying to have a baby so with this pain i need help because i think i have womb cancer or something please.


Doctor: The pain that you are experiencing during your periods is known as dysmenorrhea. There are two types of dysmenorrhea, i) Primary – in which there is no evident underlying pelvic organ problem and ii) Secondary – which is caused by an underlying pelvic pathology. Upto 50% of all women experience dysmenorrhea.  If you are frequently experiencing pain during periods which are not relieved on anti-inflammatory medication, I would suggest following up with a gynecologist. Common cause of secondary dysmenorrhea includes endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine leiomyoma, pelvic inflammatory disease, adhesions and uterine polyps. It is also important to rule out an underlying pregnancy. Your doctor may order a complete blood count, urinalysis, pelvic ultrasonography, VDRL test and hCG to make a diagnosis.


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts