x
161 Physicians Online

Question:

Severe pain in the back and neck along with other symptoms for several years

For the past 9yrs,i have been experiencing severe pains on my back,neck,waist that my legs is beginning to shrink.it also affects my manhood,and i cant even shake with my hands at times.most at times i feeling inches on my tongue,my eyes being red and also i cant bend down,my stomach,under my foots i feel pains ,as well as shocking over my body.most time as if blood is not flowing in my body.i cant explain all because i have done series of MRI .i feel tears on the affected leg ,flow of fluid from my left nose as well that all my left part are not functioning very well.this injure started on my left kneel during my time on the field as in playing football.i rely need your help for my predicament.including chest pain and headache

Answer:

Your description is very scant and the other symptoms accompanying the back pain are very vague. In your case, a nerve compression at the level of the spine must be ruled out, this might be caused by a degenerative process or a bulging disk at lumbar spine level, and you can feel it worst in some positions because in certain positions the intervertebral space gets smaller and compress the correspondent nerve. The pain can radiate to the upper thigh, genital area, and leg or even to the foot depending of the lumbar segment involved. In order to confirm this diagnostic impression, the best imaging study is the MRI. Basically the conservative treatment is Physical Therapy aimed to recondition and stabilize the lumbar spine by re-educating you, teaching you a daily stretching routine for the lumbar area, strengthening of abdominal muscles, and other important general recommendations as follows: lose weight, sleeping with a pillow between the knees lying on the side, avoid activities that place additional strain on the lumbar spine (example: weight lifting). All of the above, with the objective to keep you as far as possible from episodes of acute low back pain, and also to preserve your quality of life. If the conservative measures do not seem to work, the local corticosteroid injection may be considered.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA