Severe shoulder pain after a game

Patient

Q: My shoulder hurts on the end of my collar bone and I can't move it above my head without extreme pain. Also it hurts to reach behind my back. The pain started after a basketball game. What do you think it could be?

Symptoms:  Shoulder pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have injured the rotator cuff of your shoulder. The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and ligaments that are involved in the articulation of the shoulder. An injury to the rotator cuff can vary in severity from simple muscle strains to tears of the muscle. Failure to promptly treat this can lead to loss of range of motion and pain. Please refrain from playing basketball until you are evaluated by your doctor and have diagnostic imaging studies performed in order to determine the severity of this injury. Once this is determined, the appropriate treatment will be prescribed to you. We hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com