Severe sore throat, with light cough, sneezing, headache

Patient

Q: Sore throat, headache, light cough, right nostril plugged but if I blow hard can get some clear drainage, sneezing. Do I need to go in or is there something beside Advil I can take (that didn't work)

Symptoms:  Sore throat, headache, light cough, right nostril plugged but if I blow hard can get some clear drainage, sneezing. Do I need to go in or is there something beside Advil I can take (that didn't work)
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Rest and analgesic medication such as Advil can indeed help with the symptoms you are experiencing. However, it is possible that you may have a bacterial or viral upper respiratory tract infection. This may require additional evaluation by your doctor and treatment with the appropriate medications. It is important that you be examined by a doctor to determine if you require additional treatment of your illness. You may also require diagnostic tests such an x ray to determine the severity of this infection.

AskTheDoctor.com wishes you a speedy recovery.