Severely swollen knee with excruciating daily pain

Patient: First of all i am only 16 years old and weigh 240pounds over the past two to three years i have suffered with severe pain constantly in my left knee i have seen my family doctor several times and all they say is that it is to do with my weight i have lost alot of weight since the last time but it has got worse im in tears most of the day because of it i cant do any walking of more than about an hour as the pain becomes too much to bear the knee is also extremely swollen all of the time please please help i dont know how much longer i can deal with it. sophie beak

Doctor: While the knee problem does seem to be related to your weight , the initial damage may have been caused when you used to weigh more and thus now even though you have lost weight the stress and damage is getting worse. Since the pain is unberable and is limiting your activity and movement I advice you to see you family doctor and request an xray of that knee so that we can know whats exactly going on.A swollen knee is also concerning and may indicate ethier a trauma or fluid presnt in the knee joint or a rheumatic condition.  You may also need to get some blood tests done.In the mean time keep trying to decrease your weight by eating healthy as you may find it difficult to exercise taking into account your knee pain.