x
176 Physicians Online

Question:

Sex with HIV positive female, but Westernblot is negative.

Dear Doc, I am Male, 38 Yrs, 176 cm, 95 Kgs. 2 years ago I had sexual relation with a female for nearly 3 months. Most of time we had unprotected sex including during her menstrual periods. Later I came to know that she is HIV positive for the last 16 years and her daughter 15 Years is also HIV positive. However her past several years blood test shows normal CD4 and CD8 counts but still HIV positive. In last one and half years I had three Tri-dot tests and three Western-blot the last test taken 15 days ago. All the tests proved me negative for HIV. Please advice me whether I am 100 percent negative and can have sex with my wife without infecting her - can I be just a carrier?. Please advise me. Thanks.

Answer:

The fact that you have had three confirmatory tests for HIV and have had sexual relations with the infected person last 2 years ago means that you probably are free from the virus and infection. There is a window period however but if you have not engaged in sexual contact with the infected individual since 2 years then you are fine. However please do use condoms for any sexual contact as it protects against all STI's including HIV. I hope this helps. All the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA