Sharp intense pain in mid-back and under ribcage

Patient

Q: I've been having very sharp, intense pain in my mid back and under ribcage it seems which radiates to my front. It happens once in a while, lasts for several minutes, goes away and sometimes comes back after another few minutes. One evening it was so intense that I went to the ER but it was a small town and the Doctor was sleeping and couldn't see me for a few hours. I didn't want to wait and the pain had stopped so I left. The Nurse did an EKG or ECG (sorry not sure which one) and all was normal. Blood tests were normal. At my next visit to my family doctor I told her that this happens once in a while and she told me it's probably gas pain. Can gas pain be so severe? As background, I did have my gallbladder removed in 2012. The pain reminds me of a gallstone attack but different. Do you have any ideas as to what it could be?

Symptoms:  Sharp intense pain in mid back and under rib cage that radiates from back to front.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.

I note that the pain is on-off as opposed to constant and described as sharp as opposed to dull or squeezing.

I also note the location of the pain to be be mid-back and rib.

Based on the above information, gas is possible and more likely if the pain is connected to certain foods or post meals.

If no such connection exists, costochondritis should be considered

Patient: Forgot to mention I'm 30y/o Female.