Sharp Lower Back Pain after bending over

Q: What's causing my pain? I have really sharp pain in my lower back that began after I put my 14 month old son into the car. It has been almost 24 hours and the pain has not started getting any better.

Symptoms:  I am having a very sharp pain in my lower back. After putting my son, 30 pounds, into the car seat I went to stand up straight and could not. I have tried taking a warm shower and laying flat on the floor and it has not helped at all. It has been 22 hours and the pain has not lighted up. I have been taking Ibuprofen to try to relieve some pain but it is not helping. I am having a hard time even bending down to use the restroom or pick things up off the floor.

A:   Thank you for your question. It is likely that this sudden pain that you experienced is due to a lower back strain injury that you have sustained when you put your child down. We recommend that you rest your back by laying on a flat surface and apply a heating pad to relieve the pain. You can also take some over the counter analgesic medication such as ibuprofen or tylenol, which are safe to take if you are breast feeding.

Thank you for choosing