Sharp lower back pain when bending head

Patient: I have a lower sharp, sharp, back pain in my lower right side of my back when I bend my head down, (like my chin to my chest) Do you know what it is?

Doctor: I would like to start by summing up the info that you have sent to me: You have pain in the lower back while bending, pain from chin to chest and the pain is a sharp pain and not a dull pain. Based on the above findings, I believe that you have either a nerve impingement issue or a muscle strain issue. These are similar conditions and the pain is also similar in nature.

Since you get pain when you stretch or bend your neck, it is likely to be a muscle injury putting strain on the tendons. When a muscle gets injured, it will release toxins that cause swelling and the collection of this will cause pain. You can prevent or alleviate this pain by using the RICE therapy.

RICE is a method used to treat people with muscle injuries. Rest the area. Avoid doing things which hurt especially bending your neck which is aggravating the pain. Ice the area. Use Ice to ice the area for 15 minutes every hour. This will reduce the swelling. Compress the area. You can heat or cold compress the neck to reduce the swelling. Elevate the area by sleeping on your front to allow blood to flow to your heart. If the pain persists for 3 days, please see a Doctor to get help for this. Get a thorough examination done and get further treatment advice.