Sharp pain in my side

Patient : I have sharp pain in my side when cough , laugh, etc. and just dull uncomfort otherwise? Any ideas?
Symptoms:  Pain
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Usually such kind of pains are muscular. But we should always rule out any lung probl ems like Pleural effusion which can cause these symptoms. You should see your doctor who will examine your chest. On Auscultation if he feels that there is any sign of Pleural Effusion, he will order a Chest Xray for you. In case Xray comes out to be normal, you should do hot fomentation of the involved area. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy.