Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sharp pain in the knee and previous history of Jumper’s knee

Sharp pain in the knee and previous history of Jumper’s knee

Patient: I went to stand up and i rolled my knee wrong and it popped three times and had a sharp pain shoot through it like something tore. what do you think i did?

Doctor: You have a previous history of “Jumper’s knee” which is a Patellar tendinitis , this is an injury that affects the tend he tendon connecting your kneecap (patella) to your shinbone. The patellar tendon  is a pivot that helps your muscles extend your lower leg so that you can kick a ball, push the pedals on your bicycle and jump up in the air. Pain is the first symptom of patellar tendinitis. The pain usually is located in the section of your patellar tendon between your kneecap (patella) and the area where the tendon attaches to your shinbone (tibia). During physical activity, the pain may feel sharp  especially when running or jumping, may be making going up and down stairs or getting up painful. If you experience knee pain, try self-care measures first, such as icing the affected area and temporarily reducing or avoiding activities that trigger your symptoms, also using a strap that applies pressure to your patellar tendon can help to distribute force away from the tendon itself and direct it through the strap instead, this may help relieve pain. But if you notice that the pain worsens, interfere with your daily routine or is associated with swelling and redness I strongly recommend to have an evaluation by a specialist.