Sharp pain on top of foot

Patient

Q: I am a 47 year old male. I've been running off and on for the past 8 years. I run 3 days a week (15-20 miles). I do have properly fitting running shoes and try not to run on concrete because of past shin splint problems.

A week ago, while running, I experienced a sharp pain at the top of my left foot. It hurt enough to where I had to stop and limp back to my car. I haven't run since.

The sharp pain still remains when I walk or put pressure on my foot. When I flex my foot there is pain. I thought I might have a metatarsal stress fracture but there hasn't been any noticeable swelling, bruising or tenderness to the touch.

I haven't been to the doctor yet but it will probably be 2-3 weeks before I can be seen. I can still walk but have to roll on the outer edge of my foot to lessen the pressure. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Doctor