Sharp right hip pain

Patient

Q: Have a sharp pain in right growing area near hip. Not all the time. what could this be from? I had my appendix out 11 years ago.

Doctor

A:   Either a tendinitis or a bursitis of the hip may produce those symptoms that you described.I suggest treat it as any tendinitis, meaning: avoid activities that exacerbate the pain, apply ice locally during the early phase and moist heat during the long-term phase. Use of anti-inflammatory medication NSAIDs (“aleve”, “motrin”) can help to ease pain and swelling. The healing time is different for each individual in particular, but if you see no improvement over 2-4 weeks with these conservative measures, I strongly recommend a reevaluation to rule out some other conditions or factors that may be causing your symptoms.