Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sharp upper back pain when carrying weights

Sharp upper back pain when carrying weights

Patient: Everytime i carry more than average weight backpack or shopping bags in both hands after some time i always feel sharp backpain at a particular spot on my upper right back.Otherwise i will not feel it. This has been going on for a very long years already. What is wrong and how do i make it go away permanently? Thank you.

Doctor: The back pain that you have mentioned is most probably caused due to musculo-skeletal strain. Rest , analgesic ointments , good back support and medications like Ibuprofen (NSAIDS) will help. If you noticed that even after taking medications the symptoms are not improving, pain becomes more severe, you develop bowel incontinence or urinary retention, you must see your doctor urgently. I hope the information helps.