Shaving the Vagina

Patient: I was recently diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis. I have been taking a medication known as Flagyl. I am on my last pill of my prescription. My concern is that I have a waterpark trip scheduled for next weekend. According to the Doctor, I have to be careful of what I put in my vagina. Will the chlorine water affect my vagina’s healing process? Also, how do I go about shaving my vagina on both the inside and the out? I do not want to infect my vagina or cause any delay in the healing process.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is likely that your infection could almost be cleared by the antibiotics. However, the t issue of your vaginal canal and surrounding labia majora and minora may still be very sensitive from the infection. Chlorine from the pool as well as shaving can further exacerbate this sensitivity. At this point we would not advise you swimming or shaving for at least 5-7 days after your last dose of antibiotic treatment. After this time, and if you are not experiencing any symptoms or sensitivity in your vaginal area, you may proceed with activity as tolerated.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for your medical query.